Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Make a game of it!

Do you keep score? By keeping score it just might motivate you to save money save for goals, become debt free, and pay your house off. If you are a gamer you might be motivated by turning it all into a game. But the game is only fun if we are winning, do you have a winning plan? (If not please read my getting out of debt article.) Have you been taught to stay away from debt, save for retirement or as I call it make your money work harder work for you.
Each month I make a habit to look at our families financial statement to see if the balance improving.
Then I take a furturistic look at my next goal.. which is paying off my home mortgage. I really like the what the cost website. I plug in all my numbers and see how long it will take to get to my goal by doing what I am currently doing. It tells me that I will have my home paid off in 13 years. Then I plug in paying double payments it says 6 years and my home will be paid off. Just seeing the numbers and having a writing plan (or map) Really motivates me. So if I aim for 6 years and don't quite make it I am better off than if I never played the game at all. My prize if I sacrafice my income now is that I could help my children with college and their weddings. Then save for retirement for the rest of the years that I work. Plus have freedoms to take vacations, travel and more time to help others with their money. I keep thinking keep my eye on the prize. Or in other words what is my WHY. Each month can be the budget game and each month I can play again and maybe get a better score by not spending as much and paying more down on the house and in about 6 years I will beat this game. Then I get to try onther game save for retirement and learning to invest.
good luck everyone
Your debt freedom coach
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment